Friday, October 10, 2008

Is that you, God?

On yesterday's shoot, the model said her mother would say the makeup artist didn't show up because that's what she gets for shooting on a holiday. The makeup artist emailed to say her makeup bag had been stolen, which made me wonder if she too was pissing off God because she was working on Yom Kippur.


When the modeling coach (yeah) asked which holiday it was, I said that all of October is a Jewish holiday. I had just seen the B&H and Adorama schedules, and both were closed for most of October. I say, "I'm screwed if anything happens to my equipment this month." Later that day, my flash stopped working...


However, I had been thinking to myself how nice it would be to be contacted about shooting agency models. Why doesn't someone ask me to test their models, I wondered. That afternoon I received an email from an agency asking me to test two of their models. Yay!


The good thing about Adorama being closed all month is that they were giving away their rentals. I could rent lights for 13 days for the price of a 4-day rental. But there goes all the money from my Boston shoot: rental, repairs, transportation for heavy equipment...


To try to save some money (because after picking up rental lights at noon, I rented *more* equipment from Flash Clinic where I had just dropped off my broken kit), I carried 60 pounds of sandbags about 15 blocks. All that sand can fit into a tiny box, so the sight of me struggling with a small box invoked comments from a lot of people who thought I just needed some encouragement. Encouragement, no. More muscle, yes.

No comments: